The family of Texas linebacker Jake Ehlinger said Thursday that the cause of his death May 6 was an accidental overdose of what was believed to be Xanax laced with fentanyl.
Ehlinger, the younger brother of former Texas and current Indianapolis Colts quarterback Sam Ehlinger, was found unresponsive on May 6. He was 20.
“Today we are sad to share that we have learned that Jake was a victim of an accidental overdose of what was believed to be Xanax laced with toxic drugs including deadly Fentanyl,” the family said in its statement. “The spread of counterfeit pills is an ongoing and significant issue throughout our country, particularly in schools, colleges, and universities.
“As our family continues to process Jake’s death, we felt it was important to share these details with the hope that Jake will not have died in vain. We pray that sharing Jake’s story will help shed light on this problem and prevent other families from also tragically losing a loved one.”
In May, Texas coach Steve Sarkisian called Jake’s death “a tragedy beyond measure.”